Monday, November 9, 2009

No, kid, you're on the Leafs Part II: No dude, you're on the Panthers.

32 year-old Scott Clemmensen headed down the Atlantic coast over the summer. And now he's paying the price.

Panthers goalie Scott Clemmensen says he's had to operate in survival mode with "total chaos" in front of him for the four games he's played with his new team.

Maybe Scottie boy didn't know what he was getting into. This is the Florida Panthers. They were DFL in 08-09 in shots against with 2832 (Drylanders 2nd with 2743). Losing your best defens(c)eman in the offseason isn't going to help that.

Coach Pete DeBoer's response Sunday: "I understand where a goaltender who has let in [12] goals in his last two starts would be frustrated, but it's misdirected.

"When things aren't going well, I think it's important we all self-reflect and see what we can do better in order to help the situation. I don't think finger-pointing is real productive at this point."


P-Dubs is just being the middle man here: the players' coach, if you will. They've got a young d-man logging good minutes (Kulikov) and no one has figured out what Bryan Allen has been thinking for 7 years now. DeBoer is giving some benefit of the doubt to the Young & the Clueless.

"I'm not sure how it gets so bad at times. It's just a matter of knowing your responsibilities," [Clemmensen] said. "We've got to work on things in practice. Unless we do that, so guys know what they're doing, then we're not going to get any better at it.

"I'd like to see us really hammer out some details, so everyone's on the same page. Forget about tonight, leading up to tonight even, we're not there yet as far as taking care of our own end."


Coach Clemmensen is pin-setting his whole team so it'll be quick and easy for the bus he's throwing them under to knock 'em all down, unassisted.

DeBoer countered Clemmensen's claim.

"Our defense has improved steadily from Day 1 of the season. As a group, we've worked awful hard at that," DeBoer said. "This is the same team that has two shutouts [with Tomas Vokoun in goal] in its last four games. The chances we gave up last night in Washington weren't any more or less than what's been going on for the last few games. I guess I don't agree with [Clemmensen's] assessment."


See Scotty too Hottie? The problem is you aren't Tomas Vokoun. He saw all kinds of great opportunities and he didn't have a problem. It's not like he's really awesome and totally underrated or anything.

"I'm still learning how to play for this team. It's very different from what I'm used to in the past with New Jersey," Clemmensen said. "I haven't been able to get set and concentrate on one shot at a time. It's been so scrambled that, for me, the four games I've gotten in so far, have just been surviving. And you can't play that way in this league. I'm still learning how to incorporate my game into this playing style we have."

I like to imagine he said "this playing style we have" in the most sarcastic, bitter tone. Almost to say "we are going to suck when I'm in goal." Look dude, you're on Florida. It's like a shooting gallery on ice. I'm not sure how you didn't know that going into the thing. Fire your agent, I guess. Maybe he told you it was a piece of cake so he could visit the greater Sunrise/Miami area more often. I don't know for sure.

What I do know is that 5 of your top six d-men are all cast offs from other teams: McCabe, Siedenberg, Allen, Ballard, Leopold. No one goes TO Florida to sign and play unless you're approaching the grave or you were brought up in the system.

Good luck being a shooter tutor and far-inferior back up, Mr. Clemmensen.

6 comments:

  1. I like how Scotty suddenly has the balls to talk a big game, since he was the main man for a couple months last year during Brodeur's injury. This is his seventh season in the NHL, and his seventh season being a backup goalie. Maybe he should keep his mouth shut and work on his game, and not piss off his teammates.

    I absolutely love the fact that Vokoun has two shutouts in the same week Clemmensen is complaining about his team not playing defense. My best wishes go to the Panthers to get another shutout on Thursday against Boston, when Vokoun will certainly be between the pipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I got what I wished for: a shutout for Vokoun. Eat that Scotty boy. Three shutouts this week, and Clemmensen is complaining about his team not playing any defense. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boston outshot Florida 19-1 in the 2nd period. I think this all has a lot to do with Vokoun and maybe less to do with the Florida D.

    Vokoun has pitched 32, 34, and 40-save shutoats in 3 of his last 4. He is a stud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand that completely. I'm not trying to say Florida has a top 3 defense in the league. I just can't believe how timely everything has been. And I can't get over the fact that Scott "G. Backup" Clemmensen(that's his nickname now, "G. Backup") was a starter for a few months because the actual starter was injured, and now he thinks he has room to talk crap. I also realized I'm losing all my goalie stats this week in my head to head league because Scott has Vokoun, but that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this, too highlights (or rather lowlights) one Martin Brodeur's career a little. Sure, he isn't a young cub any longer, but Clemmensen stepped in and was fine. And now he's in Florida and is completely lost.

    Wonder how good Brodeur would've been if he'd playing in Florida since 1993. Would we even know who he is?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, come on. You're acting like Brodeur sucked his whole career. Luongo started his career in FLorida and everyone knew he was elite. In fact, I'd say his 2004 campaign with the Panthers is his best season to date. Also, Vokoun is doing fine in Florida. I'm sure Brodeur's stats would take a hit in Florida but he'd still post pretty solid numbers. Also, keep in mind we're referring to your brother small sample size so far this season with Clemmensen. But I hear ya, Brodeur would definitely not be a first ballot hall of famer.

    ReplyDelete